Monday, September 21, 2009

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

The best teachers teach from the heart, not from the book.  ~Author Unknown

DSC00785 DSC00783 DSC00784

Each and every child of the tribe is so unique. I sit for hours and ponder what they will be when they “grow up”.

I was not the least bit surprised when Nick, the level headed and patient, oldest child announced that he was majoring in education. His dream…to become a high school coach. Nick has always been my old soul. Mature beyond his years. A voice of reason in my sometimes chaotic world. Dependable, honest…often referred to as Mr. Black and white. Nothing is grey in his world, there is right and wrong…and for Nick doing the right thing is the only choice. He is every mothers dream … I often wondered if the responsibility to pave the way for the other 5 was too heavy a burden. Nick has proved year after year to be up to the challenge. As the oldest child and oldest boy he has not expected the other children to walk in his shoes as they grow up, but instead he has chosen to create a path for them to follow. One that is paved with wisdom and good advice…I often tell people that Nick turned out so good in spite of me. The reality is we grew up together and I have to say we both came out mighty darn good.

Nick is now in the final years of college.  Observing and helping out the Middle School football team thanks to a friends kind recommendation. I feel mighty old watching him on the field…it was not to long ago that I remember watching him, pads bigger than he was, running out for the opening kickoff.

I can not wait to see where this journey will take him.

It may never be easy but it will always be worth it.

Babs

No comments:

Post a Comment