Sunday, July 5, 2009

Happy Mothers Day!



Hondo and Jaime haming it up for the table.



Me and Nick


Maam and Sir


Okay I know I should not pick my nose at the table but it drives my mother crazy when I do it right before she takes the picture...guess I am still a kid at heart.









All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his. ~Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895



If you have a sister you have said these words "oh my god you have to tell me if I ever act like Mom".

What I have come to realize as I get older is that yes I am my mother...and yes that is a good thing.


Over the years when things have gotten tough the women in our family have taken it on the chin because we were "Farmer-Foley" girls. The equivalent of being tough as tacks and able to handle the world with our lipstick still in place and a smile on our face.

My mother taught me that memories are important...sugar cookies at Christmas...family meals around the table...summer ice cream...fresh tomatoes...Erin walking around with that damn bucket on her head...drive in movies...

My mother taught me how to make the perfect pitcher of sweet tea...

My mother taught me my love of animals...she never said no to any stray I found (even the horse that I brought home).

My mother taught me that having your own smell was important...I could always tell how long she had been out of the house by smelling my way through a room....

My mother taught me the joy of crafting...

My mother taught me how to stand strong for my beliefs and to have the courage to admit when I am wrong...

My mother taught me that you should NEVER go to Kroger without lipstick on because if you do you will see a gazzillion people you know....

My mother taught me that my sister was my best friend even if I didn't know it at the time....

My mother taught me that it was okay to fail and even better to succeed....

My mother taught me that during the holidays you should invite everyone and I mean everyone that does not have a place to go over to your house.....

My mother taught me family was the most important thing there is....


So this Mother's Day as I looked in the mirror and saw my Mom looking back at me...I just smiled...because I was looking at all the women in my family...and I liked what I saw.


It may never be easy but it will always be worth it.
Babs

No comments:

Post a Comment