Sunday, August 30, 2009

Don't wait for your ship to come in - swim out to it.



We are lucky to live in a lake community. We are even luckier to have "2" dogs that now love to swim.

Over the last few months Dallas has sat on the bank while Deacon enjoyed a dip in the lake. Being the ball hog she is, Dallas was not happy to sit on the sidelines while Deacon retrieved everything from a ball to a pine cone.

I think Hondo was even more unhappy then Dallas... as my dog swam and his sat whining like a baby on the shore. More than one weekend was spent with him trying to think of ways to entice her into the water. She would tiptoe out until it got about to her knees and then run like she had been shot to shake and roll in the grass. Since our family turns EVERYTHING into a competition..it became my dog against his...of course mine was "swimming" away with the best dog title.

A couple of weekends ago we headed down to the lake and Hondo said " I feel it...this is going to be the day!". Imagine our surprise when Dallas jumped in, as if she had been doing it everyday and took the ball right out of Deacons mouth. I have to wonder how many private conversations Hondo and Dallas had...I can just hear him now telling her " You are a swimmer...I just know you are".

We now have 2 dogs to bathe after a lake afternoon...and we have now begun convestations with "My dog swims faster than yours". I take great comfort in the fact that my dog did it first!


It may never be easy but it will always be worth it.
Babs

1 comment:

  1. "You're a swimmer. I just know you are." BAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete