Saturday, January 9, 2010

A stepson is someone who comes into you life and becomes your friend!

Ben rounds out the birthday year for the tribe…15…can he really be 15?
I like to think he “step”-ed right into my life.
Ben may have taught me more about myself than any other child in the house. Ben has taught me that …Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success. Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly…because he has challenged my need to always succeed, he has allowed me the privilege of failing and learning.
I have so many memories of the tribe in the beginning…the most vivid one is planting flowers in the front of the house one spring morning.  All the children had ridden off on their bikes, leaving me to plant alone.  Ben had decided to stay back and help and we sat in the dirt for hours talking as we planted rows of colorful annuals. It was one of the earliest moments when I realized that I needed this “Family” in my life.
Ben and I have had 8 birthdays together…quite a long time in the grand scheme of things…and as I sit and write this I realize exactly how much he has grown…and not only in height and weight!
Ben is artistic and smart and in no way has he even begun to realize how bright his future is…I know that it will be the blink of an eye before he is gone…taking with him all the things we have learned together.
It may never be easy but it will always be worth it.
Babs
DSC01530Yup, you know it…the “40” candle is still burning bright!
DSC01531  Ben opted for an ice cream cake this year…it was wayyyyyy yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment